The Wheat Project

Monday, September 28, 2009

Saturday morning we decided to take a walk to our local park to play, and we were pleasantly surpirsed to see that the library was setting up a project for families to enjoy that involved wheat. The kids quickly abandoned the park in favor of helping the man in charge of the project set up. The let the kids play with the wheat, grinding up the berries to make wheat flour. It was actually really interesting to see the life cycle of wheat.

I hadn't brought my camera with us, so these first few photos were taken from my iPhone. Apparently, I wasn't paying much attention to the man telling the wheat story, because now I can't remember the correct terminology each step in the project.

Separating the wheat berries from their casing.

Grinding up the berries to make wheat flour

Taking turns with a neighborhood buddy. Such teamwork!

Here comes the flour!

They gave each kid a baggie to take home the flour that they had made.

When we got home from the park, Caityn and Abel decided to bake cookies using the little bit of wheat flour that Caityn and Sean had ground up. Caityn is REALLY into the posing lately!


Our little baggie of wheat flour plus some additional wheat berries to plant.


Ready to bake!

The flour that she took home only amounted to about 1/4 cup, so it was mixed in with regular flour.

The finished product! I couldn't get the picture fast enough. One cookie is alreay missing!!

Yum! This was a fun educational project!

1 comments:

my little buttercup said...

How fun! I didn't realize it was that easy to make flour! Very cool.